Application for Membership of Friends of St. Mary’s Lands, Warwick.
The protection of the St Marys Lands was confirmed by the Warwick Corporation Act of Parliament in 1948 which revoked rights of access and allowed charges to be made on race days. The custodians, Warwick District Council, are using the remainder of St Marys Land that is not used for horse racing.
Understandably the townsfolk resist the attempts at building a hotel.
To join us and help us to influence policy and protect this common land, please fill out the form below and email it to us.
Constitution for the Friends of St. Mary’s Lands Group
Friends of St Mary’s Lands is a campaigning, voluntary organisation; open to anyone who is interested in the St Mary’s Lands, Lammas Field and The Saltisford Common in Warwick; and who broadly agrees with the aims and objectives, outlined below.
The name of the Group shall be the “Friends of St. Mary’s Lands – Warwick”
1: The aims of this Group are:
- To improve, conserve, support and protect St. Mary’s Lands, The Lammas Field and Saltisford Common for the benefit of all residents and visitors to Warwick.
- To act as a voice for the local Warwick residents, neighbours and users of the park
- To liaise with the Warwick District Council, the legal owners of St Mary’s Lands
- To work in partnership with our, 3 local Councils, local Councillors, Council Officers, tenants of St Mary’s Lands, Contractors, Traders and Service Providers
- To encourage and support full participation from the wide variety of users of the park
- To raise awareness regarding developments and plans that may affect St. Mary’s Lands
- To research and promote knowledge of the 800 year history of the “Common” as a recreation space for the people of Warwick
- To apply the above aims within a peaceful, non-profit making, and apolitical way
- To contribute, input and influence local strategy including developments to the Park Management Plan
- To identify through Council departments, Councillors etc. where grants, funding, help or assistance may be given to improve the park
- Work with groups of a similar nature and exchange information, advice and knowledge with them, including cooperation with other voluntary bodies, charities, statutory and non- statutory organisations.
- To campaign using the media and social media to further its aims.
- To raise money
- Open bank accounts
- Take out insurance if the funds are sufficient.
(h) Take any form of action that is lawful, which is necessary to achieve the objects of the Group.
- Membership shall be open to anyone who has an interest in assisting the Group to achieve its aim and is willing to abide by this Constitution
- Membership fees will be determined at the Annual General Meeting.
- Membership of the group will be open to any individual, irrespective of age, sex, ethnicity, ability, religion or political view but not to elected Councillors as the Group is apolitical.
- Where it is considered, membership would be detrimental to the aims and activities of the Group, the Management Committee shall have the power to refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a meeting
- Any member of the association may resign his/her membership by providing the Secretary with written notice.
- Since the aims of the Group are to be applied in an apolitical way, elected Councillors will be excluded from membership. This is intended to be reflect the fact that Councillors who are members have to declare an interest at Council meetings and therefore are not permitted to speak or vote on any matter connected with St. Mary’s Lands.
- The administration of the group shall be conducted by a Management Committee of not less than 3 and not more than 7 individuals elected at the Group’s Annual General Meeting (AGM), who must be at least 18 years of age.
- Members will be elected for a period of up to one year but may be re-elected at the Group’s AGM.
- The officers of the Management Committee shall be elected by the Committee and shall be: the Chairperson, The Treasurer and The Secretary and any additional officers the Group deems necessary at the meeting required to carry out the required activities
- The Management Committee may co-opt on to the Committee up to three individuals, in an advisory and non-voting capacity that it feels will help to fulfil the aims of the group
- Any member of the Management Committee who has a commercial or vested interest in the park must declare that interest and abstain from voting where there is or may be a conflict of interests.
- A quorum of at least 3 Management Committee Members must be present for a meeting to take place.
- In person or virtually whenever there is a need to discuss developments or plans affecting St. Mary’s Lands. Voting at Management Committee meetings shall be by show of hands. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- The Management Committee shall meet at least three times a year, personally or virtually, whenever there is a need to discuss developments or plans affecting St Mary’s Lands.
- Minutes of meetings will be kept.
- Duties of the Officers:
- Chairs meetings of the group
- Represents the Group at functions/meetings or as the Committee decides.
iii. Acts as the spokesperson of the Group when necessary, or as the Committee decides
- Keeps a membership list
- Prepares, in consultation with the Chairperson, the agenda for meetings of the Group
- Takes and keeps minutes of all meetings
- Collects and circulates any relevant information within the Group
- Supervise the financial affairs of the Group
- Keep proper accounts that show all monies received and paid out by the Group
- Arranges for an independent inspection of the accounts if the funds are sufficient
- All monies received by or on behalf of the group shall be applied to further the aims of the Group and for no other purpose
- Any bank accounts opened for the Group shall be in the name of the Group
- Any cheques issued shall be signed by the Treasurer and one other nominated member of the Committee
- Any income/expenditure shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who will be accountable to ensure funds are utilised effectively and that the Group stays within budget. Official accounts shall be maintained
- The Group shall ensure that its accounts are audited or independently examined every year if the funds are sufficient
- No member of the Management Committee may receive payments from the Group but may receive out of pocket expenses
- General Meetings: General Meetings of members will be held as necessary to discuss any significant developments and plans that may affect St. Mary’s Lands
- Annual General Meeting:
- The Group shall hold an Annual General Meeting (AGM) once a year, as near to the month of May as possible
- All members shall be given at least fourteen days’ notice of the AGM and shall be entitled to attend and vote
- The business of the AGM shall include:
- Receiving a report from the Chairperson on the Group’s activities over the year
- Receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of the Group
- Electing a new Management Committee
- An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) may be called by the Management Committee or 10% of the membership to discuss an urgent matter
- The Group may be wound up at any time if agreed by two thirds of those members present and voting at an AGM.
- In the event of winding up, any assets remaining after all debts have been paid shall be given to another Group with a similar aim.
- Alteration of the Constitution:
Any changes to this constitution must be agreed by at least two thirds of those members present and voting at any Annual General Meeting or Extraordinary General Meeting.
This Constitution was adopted at the Annual General Meeting held on 6th October 2021.
Many thanks for your interest.